Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Word of the Week

My word of the week is "relegate," which was used in an article with the headline "Republicans hail John McCain, assail Barack Obama" on http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_convention_rdp;_ylt=AtAcAFjGNh.W5Mvpcxxsoj534T0D. "Relegate" is a verb meaning "to send into exile" "dismiss" or "banish." According to Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, "relegate" comes from the Latin "relegatus,"the past participle of relegare, from re- + legare, which means "to send with a commission." I chose "relegate" as my word of the week because I think that it a word that might show up because it relates to the upcoming election. Also, it sounds like a lot like another political word, delegate. I wanted to see what the difference was between the two different words and their definitions.

3 comments:

@jefollis said...

Delegate has both noun and verb forms. How about relegate?

Eric Heisig said...

To me, "relegate" has the connotation of setting aside, where "delegate" is more of assigning a special task, whatever it may be. I think "delegate" has the more prestigious connotation, where "relegate" just sounds like it is pushing to the side.

Erika said...

"Relegate" and "delegate" sound really similar -- an "r" or a "d" makes a huge difference. But I think "relegate" isn't used often, so people might just assume it's a synonym for "relegate." Thanks for pointing out what it means and how it is used--I learned something new today:)